Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Whatcha' Reading?

Judy Laquidara over at Patchwork Times has  new linky group called "Whatcha Reading?"  I need to write & link up, because I got a new e-reader for my birthday and have all kinds of books waiting to be read...

The book that I'm currently reading is called The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin.  What a great book so far!  I don't normally read what I would call "self-help" books, but the author had such a great idea when she decided to do this project....  She considers herself to be very happy and fortunate in life - great family, etc...  But, she says, she's still not sure she's entirely happy.  So, this goes month-by-month, focusing on different aspects of life and figuring out how she can be both good to herself, and good to others (like, for instance, her husband).  I sometimes glance over some paragraphs because I figure "I'll never do that," but otherwise, she has some really great ideas and I've taken a ton of notes (my particular e-reader has that option).  Loving it so far!


Gretchen Rubin's description of the book reads: "One rainy afternoon, while riding a city bus, Gretchen Rubin asked herself, “What do I want from life, anyway?” She answered, “I want to be happy”—yet she spent no time thinking about her happiness. In a flash, she decided to dedicate a year to a happiness project. The result? One of the most thoughtful and engaging works on happiness to have emerged from the recent explosion of interest in the subject.

The Happiness Project synthesizes the wisdom of the ages with current scientific research, as Rubin brings readers along on her year to greater happiness.
In fact, Rubin’s “happiness project” no longer describes just a book or a blog; it’s a movement. Happiness Project groups, where people meet to discuss their happiness projects, have sprung up across the country—and across the world. Rights have been sold in more than 35 countries. Hundreds of book groups have discussed the book; professors, teachers, psychiatrists, and clergy assign it. The Happiness Project was even an answer on the game-show Jeopardy!"

No comments: