Saturday, January 19, 2013

Knitting Envy ~ I'm Guilty!

I have been following a blog, Patchwork Times, by Judy Laquidara, for about fifteen months now. Judy is a quilter, book writer, knitter, gardener, cook, canner extraordinaire, chicken Mama, and many other things. Judy is extremely inspiring, as I've recently drastically cut my work hours and am home more. I read her blog and can't imagine how she manages to do all she does. I LOVE her chicken & husband stories, I want to meet her dog, and I want to emulate her sock-making abilities!

I decided a couple of evenings ago, after reading Judy's most recent blog postings, that I NEED to learn how to knit socks! She made 13 pair in 2012, and every pair look so comfy! Most were colorful, and I think each pair was in a different knit pattern. Love love love!!! I'm not sure why I've been "nervous" to learn. Is it because I won't be able to figure it out? Or, maybe because I'm afraid I'll feel challenged at first, learn what I need to know, and then the challenge goes away and takes my desire to knit with it? I tend to be more afraid of the latter... I don't want to go out and buy a ton of stuff (like I "might" have done before with other crafts), and then not use it. I saw a friend today, and I mentioned my desire to learn to knit. I didn't realize (errrr - "remember") that she used to knit. I mentioned Judy's blog, and all of her 2012 socks, and how I want to learn how to make socks. My friend proceeded to give me the book "Stitch 'N Bitch," by Debbie Stoller, as well as a "Baby Knits Kit," by Sara Lucas, that has 20 super cute projects, mostly (but not all) for baby.

I've been reading some of the Stitch 'N Bitch book and have learned about needle and yarn size/weight, and some other basic stuff. Haven't tried anything with yarn yet. I had told my DH ("dear husband") the other night that I was thinking of learning how to knit, and taking a class to do so, and there's a chance he might even join me!! His sisters had actually taught him, or "started" teaching him, how to make socks several years ago. Maybe we will make socks together! One can wish! :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

If your DH learns to knit with you that would be SO cool! Like my friend's husband who quilts with her!!!