Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fabric "Discharging" - today's experiment

I was visiting my sister-in-law in Tulsa and it just so happened that she had recently received the current issue of American Quilter magazine. I was reading it and came across this article: "Discharging: Serendipity in Surface Design, By Liz Berg." It is all about taking the dye OUT of fabric.

The article specified to use black fabric, but I thought it would be fun to try other colors, too. So, guess what I did today! I spent 3+ hours "discharging" fabric!! Doesn't that sound a bit nasty?? haha! I found some scraps of solid color fabrics, black, blue, green, red, brown, burnt orange. It is interesting to see the colors that resulted when the bleach reacted on the fabrics. The only problem I had was with the green fabric - turned out that it was polyester. I figured that out because the color didn't change AT ALL! What a disappointment! On the other hand, it was good because I wouldn't want to use polyester fabric in one of my quilts anyway, so I'll just toss it.

In addition to using the magazine's method, I also did some "stamping" too. Instead of laying the fabric IN the gel, I applied the gel to the fabric using cookie cutters. I also used a "bleach pen" for another piece, but the bleach dried too quickly and didn't reach much with the piece.

Anyway, I found this to be a pretty fun process. Try it sometime!!

:-)

No comments: